Monday, February 21, 2011

Had I a nickel for every story idea I had, i'd have a whole nickel just for me.

So first, we have the five stories I wanna get around to telling:

1. A vampire story in told in flashback from a man about an incident in his childhood. When he was 7, his sister, aged 11, died mysteriously. His mom kind of zoned out of life, and his father tried to hold everything together. As a child, he was very fond of horror movies and stuff. And one night, his sister comes a tap-tap-tapping upon his window sill. This is the one i'm rather partial to, but in a sense it feels like a cheap rip-off of the bit in Salem's Lot in which Danny Glick comes a'knocking on Mark Petrie's window. Ah well, take it for a spin and bring it back as something different.

2. Another vampire story based on a short screenplay I wrote that I turned into a film that, where I like it, could have still been better. And by better, I mean in ways only the written word can allow. A college student at William Paterson University is bitten by a vampire. He must kill her.

3. This is a story that I tried writing in Intro to Creative Writing but never got around to it as I couldn't get the first sentence that I wanted. A devout christian working at a camp owned by a Salvation Army-like organization has his faith and sanity tested when it he discovers that the God the organization worships isn't exactly what he thought it was.

4. Another one of my rip-off stories, this time taking a spin with John Boorman's 1967 film POINT BLANK. There is a very unique kind of chase sequence towards the beginning that just kicks my ass every time I watch it. I started developing it when I took Fiction Writing last semester, but never went anywhere with it.

5. Yet another story I started but never took anywhere. Last semester in Fiction Writing, I decided last minute that the story I was gonna hand in sucked, so I quickly wrote a fragment of a new one about two scientists who discover mummies of an long thought to be legendary ancient civilization off the coast of California on an island. The taking of these mummies unleash a protector of the dead to hunt those that took it, on top of revealing horrifying truths about human evolution.

Now we have 10 stories I've told people over the last three days. The issue with this is trying to remember them. These stories are usually told without importance, and they don't stay reserved within the mind. So i've tried to remember as many as I can.

1. When I was doing lighting for a short film project, the angle we had set one of the lights on resulted in the plastic back casing of the light to melt. We then had to shut the light off after every take, discuss each new take in the dark, and then turn the light back to shoot a new one.

2. My Film 3 Project had two producers who didn't do shit. My friend wound up being producer of his Film 3 project. After telling him the hell I went through, I threatened to kill him if he messed up.

3. I had to explain to a bunch of newbs how difficult it is to light a movie. It's the hardest part, and takes forever to set up, adjust and then put away. You will not get anything to look good at all if you don't know how to compose a scene.

4. I told someone how I would visualize my adaptation of Dracula as the most faithful adaptation of the novel yet. It's pretty sweet.

5. I was telling a friend of mine about this whole sprawling narrative that is connected by a bunch of short stories that span back to the Salem Witch Trials through the 1920s through WW2 to now, all dealing with Lovecraftian elements.

6. I totally intend to geek out when Guillermo del Toro finally gets around to adapting Lovecraft's At The Mountains of Madness. I'll buy the art books, the script books, the movie tie-in edition of the novel, everything. Posters, t-shirts. I'll see it 10 times in theaters and won't even care if it sucked.

7. Including wanting to adapt Dracula, i'd love to do the triumvirate of great vampire novels: Dracula, Salem's Lot and I Am Legend, all as faithful as I can possibly make them. The more times they do these stories, the more they change and they wind up sucking. Time to do some right.

8. I would also love to adapt Kim Newman's Anno-Dracula trilogy of novels. Maybe not as films because he uses so many characters that copyright would become an issue. Maybe as a comic book with either Eddie Campbell(From Hell) or Kevin O'Neal(League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) doing the art.


eeeeh Two short. I can't remember any more. Sorry.

1 comment: